Solveigh in Latin-America

Sunday, April 15, 2007

going down the Amazon-River

(It's been a while that I wanted to tell you about all the smaller and bigger -but always interesting- events in Talag, but I'll skip that now.)
Well, I'm already in Coca (together with a duch friend, Martine, I got to know in Otavalo some days ago). Coca is the last city in Ecuador (ehm, I want to say the city situated the furtherst out in the Jungel). I was quite surprised to find out how much I like it (we arrived at 6 this morning). There is a lot of people because of elections, we had a breakfast-lunch outside in a reasonably nice restaurant (decorated with huge crocodile-skulls and tortoise shells and stuff) and I was fastinated by the amount of chonta-curo (huge cartapillars that they eat here -extraordinarily rico, I must say) they are selling here (in Talag they were way rarer) -6 on a stick with a piece of Yuka would cost you 1 dollar.
There is a chilean guy next to our hotel room that is planning to go down the Rio Napo/Amazon all on his own in a canoa he is trying to purchase now. Of cours I'd LOVE to join him but maybe it's not so bad that I'm running out of time (Visa-wise) right now and cannot do that for this reason :). Apart from him there doesn't seem anyone around who is planning a similar trip.
We already got our tickets to Nueva Rocafuerte (Jungel-border with Peru) and from there we'll see. We haven't managed to find any cheap hammoks yet and I should make sure I get some more cash until our boat leaves at 8 p'clock tomorrow morning. (we'll arrive around 5 pm).
I'm of course very happy there are two of us, but so far it seems easy and I guess I would have managed on my own if I would have had to. (You know, sun is shining as it always seem to do here -oh, I had already started to miss the jungel!).
Dear Mom and Dad: I don't think I'll be able to contact you before arriving at Iquitos, Peru (500,000 habitants= the biggest town ww without road access) which should take us AT LEAST a week or more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home